Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Friday lists keep growing!

Hooray for mid-week Fridays!  Now that my weekend has begun, I have so much planned.  Our weather here is finally giving the soil a chance to dry out, so I can till to my hearts content!  We have a garden party planned for my Queen's birthday. We are expecting our first baby goat in two weeks. Our greenhouse still has to be finished. Whew! And that's just the beginning few lines of my list! Expect pictures and videos!

    We received two new young laying hens yesterday from a neighbor down the road (THANK YOU ANNIE!) and they are already laying strong! They complement our flock nicely as far as coloring goes. The same friendly neighbor will also have some chicks to give us in a week or two, so things are getting pretty busy around here!

    Our weed-eater's carburetor is almost shot - learned only last year that small two-stroke engines need ethanol free gas.  But, I do plan on finding a way to convert it to veggie oil, so maybe now is a great time, since I will have it apart to repair the carb anyways.

    After the winter's destruction of our greenhouse, we have decided to start straight into the garden whilst it gets repairs. Here's to hoping for the best!

    I plan on making a movable goat pen with movable electric fence like they use on Polyface Farms.  Very sustainable. i recommend the book, "The Sheer Ecstasy of Being a Lunatic Farmer" by Joel Salatin, to everyone. This was a wonderful read.  It fits right into what we are trying to accomplish here at Amber Fox Farms.  I am always looking out for inspiration and knowledge to create and maintain our farm as a sustainable homestead.  This book sent me farther in the right direction!
here's the permalink:
the sheer ecstasy of being a lunatic farmer
    and here's a link to the Polyface blog 'Hen House':
The PolyFace Hen House

    My Queen's Birthday Garden Party Extravaganza should be wonderful! I think it is a wonderful idea for a birthday party! what do you think? Let me know!  

No comments:

Post a Comment